What is OHSAS 18001
OHSAS 18001 is an internationally recognised occupational, health and safety management system series standard. The OHSAS 18001 standard is based on the similar ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 Plan - DO - Check - Act structure. To achieve certification to OHSAS 18001 an organisation must have a health and safety management system compliant with the requirements of the OHSAS 18001 standard. The standard also requires a company to have appropriate health and safety policies, procedures and protocols to ensure it is a safety conscientious organisation.
How to establish an OHSAS 18001 Occupation health and safety management system?
- Formulate an Occupational, Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS) with the establishment of an occupational, health and safety (OHS) manual in which the scope of OHSMS is determined
- Establish an occupational, health and safety policy and OHS objectives and programmes
- Ensure document and record control
- Implement and maintain a procedure to identify hazards, assess risk and determine controls in the work place
- Maintain procedures to ensure applicable occupational, health and safety legislation is identified, communicated within and compliance assessed
- Define resources, roles, responsibilities, accountability and authority with regard to the OHSMS
- Implement an adequate occupational, health and safety communication, participation and consultation process
- Maintain good operational control
- Plan emergency preparedness and response
- Meet strict criteria in relation to incident investigation
- Identify and deal with OHS non conformities by applying corrective and preventative action
- Monitor and measure the occupational, health and safety performance of the organisation
- Audit the system and review the system at a management level periodically
Achieving OHSAS 18001 Certification
- Please click on the “Contact Us” button to request a call back or for further information on OHSAS 18001 and a no-obligation competitive quotation from our dedicated business development team. Alternatively you may contact us directly on +353 (0)1 64 29300 (Dublin) or + 44 (0)28 90737913 (Belfast, Northern Ireland).
- You can watch an information video on the OHSAS 18001 standard on our You Tube channel here.
- You can also download a brochure on the health and safety standard and view details of our training courses by clicking on the relevant buttons.